This Assembly contains:
6.0L IPR Air Test Tool, Hose & Valve
If you work on 6.0L Diesels you know there is plenty of opportunity for those who are properly equipped with the necessary tools and knowledge to tackle their unique problems. You can easily pay for these tools on your first job, and be making money after that!
High pressure oil leaks are one of the major weaknesses of the 6.0L Diesel engine and commonly cause a hard-start or no-start condition when the engine is hot.
The IPR air test tool is the ticket to finding the location of the high pressure oil leak. The ball tube removal tool is essential for replacing the ball tube o-rings in the oil rails which are a common source of leaks, we have these, also. The IPR air test tool and ball tube removal tools are each described separately in more detail below.
6.0L Powerstroke Diesel
- High Pressure Oil System IPR Air Test Tool -
Test it the right way
One of the more common issues plaguing 6.0L Powerstroke owners are hard hot-start issues. These issues are almost invariably caused by leakage in the engine's high pressure oil system which operates the fuel injectors. Possible leakage locations include the high pressure oil pump itself, IPR Valve, STC fitting, branch tubes, standpipes, dummy plugs, oil rail ball tube o-rings, injector inlet seals, etc. If the leak or combination of leak sources is bad enough to prevent the system from building the 520 PSI required, the truck will not start under any condition - hot or cold. Locating the exact source of the leak(s) is the challenge.
THE TRADITIONAL METHOD:
The method most technicians use to locate the source of the high pressure oil leak is to connect shop air to the high pressure oil system by way of an adapter which takes the place of the ICP sensor. This method has several problems associated with it. First, the IPR valve is normally open and must be closed by either commanding it closed with a scan tool, or by using a stand-alone IPR driver tool or no air pressure will build in the system. (Connecting battery voltage directly to the valve will damage it.) Even when commanded closed, IPR valves are not designed to seal completely meaning that they will always leak some air during the testing process. Unfortunately, the sound of one air leak will make it difficult or impossible to locate other leakage points - especially small leaks toward the rear of the engine such as cracked branch tubes. Finally, the latest updated standpipes have internal check valve which prevent reverse flow - rendering the conventional test method useless.
Our tool takes the place of the IPR valve meaning that the system can be completely sealed so that even the smallest leaks can be detected.
- NO Scan tool or IPR driver tool is required - potentially lower tool investment
- Leaks of ANY size can be detected - because the IPR valve is removed from the system the fact that it never closes 100% and thus creates a distracting air noise during testing becomes a non-issue. In fact, it is possible to pressurize a system with shop air, close the shutoff valve on the tool, and leave the system pressurized overnight. We have seen systems that will hold the pressure until morning.
- No vehicle required - engine builders can quickly verify that an engine has no high pressure oil leaks before installing the engine into the vehicle where repairs are much more difficult
- Allows systems with the latest updated standpipes to be tested.
- Every 6.0L Tech needs this tool! -
ABOUT THE TOOL:
These tools are built to last a lifetime with professional grade components. They are constructed 100% in the USA (with the exception of a high-quality shutoff valve). The heavy-duty Parker hose is rated up to 3,000 PSI.
You can purchase the tool in two different configurations:
- Complete tool with IPR replacement fitting, heavy duty hose, and shutoff valve assembled (this listing). Most professional technicians who do a lot of work on the 6.0L Powerstroke should choose this option. The ability to "air-up" the system and then trap the air pressure by closing the shutoff valve allows even the smallest leaks to be detected. The absence of any unwanted air noises from leaking air lines connected with quick connect couplings makes locating the real problem easier.
- IPR replacement fitting only - This cost-saving option is intended for lower volume users such as individual truck owners. At less than the cost of one hour of diagnostic time in most areas, this tool can save your hundreds or even thousands of dollars.
- The complete system can be tested in under 20 minutes - in a professional repair facility this tool will pay for itself after one or two repairs.
- To connect, just remove the air cleaner, FICM, and coolant degas bottle (Turbo removal is NOT required). Remove the IPR valve and thread in the tool, hand tightening using the hose is sufficient.
- Connect shop air and listen for leaks. To locate the smallest leaks close the shutoff valve on the tool to seal the system. If desired a scan tool can be used to monitor air pressure in the system by observing the ICP sensor reading. This is not a required step.
- To prevent costly combacks we recommend air checking every 6.0L for high pressure oil leaks after any part of the system has been disassembled.
- As with any air tool, you will need to add your own air line quick-connect fitting. Since there are so many various air fitting in use, it is impractical to provide this part.
- It is strongly advised to avoid cranking the engine with this tool connected. Since the IPR valve is not in place to provide pressure relief, the high pressure oil pump would effectively be dead-headed and pump, system, tool, or personal damage could result.
- Auto repair activities are hazardous. Always wear protective eye-wear. This tool is intended for usage by trained professionals. By using it you are certifying that you have the necessary skills and training to do so safely.
We process your order the day you purchase to make your life easier. Buy your parts knowing it is backed by our J J Hassle Free Guarantee. Use our shipping tracker and locate exactly where your package is on its journey to your doorstep.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
6.0L Ford Powerstroke - Diesel Specialist's Basic Air Test assembly
Dirt Bike Parts & Gear
Shop thousands of parts from our Parts Unlimited and Drag Specialties warehouses. We have warehouses all over the country!