Test it the right way!
Each year Motor Magazine selects the Top 20 most innovative new tools in the automotive industry. We are pleased to announce that the 6.0L IPR Air Test Tool was selected to receive this highly coveted award for 2014. We are offering the Air Test Fitting / Tool for the 7.3L engine.
7.3L Powerstroke engines may experience hard start and or no start issues. In some cases the no-start issue may occur only with the engine hot. If the observed ICP pressure during cranking is less than the required 500 PSI, then the problem is in the high pressure oil system. One of the first checks that should be made is to remove the plug from the top of the high pressure oil reservoir (in front of the fuel filter) to observe if the reservoir is full. If the oil is standing within an inch of the top of the reservoir, then the problem is in the high pressure oil system and could be caused by one of three things:
- The high pressure oil pump itself
- The IPR Valve
- A high pressure oil leak
The 7.3L IPR Air Test Fitting will allow you to quickly determine which of these is the case (without unnecessary and costly parts substitution) by performing the following:
- Remove the IPR valve and pressurize the system with shop air. Listen for air leaks. External high pressure oil leaks would have, of course, been obvious. The primary concern is internal leaks under the valve covers. These could include leaking injector orings, or leaking injectors. Listen for any leaks under the valve covers and correct if present. If the center injector oring fails high pressure oil could be leaking back into the fuel system. Remove the fuel filter cap and observe for air bubbles in the fuel. If necessary, individual fuel lines running from the fuel filter assembly to the cylinder heads can be disconnected in order to isolate the problem.
- If no air leaks are observed, the next step is to isolate whether the problem is with the IPR or the high pressure oil pump. Remove the IDM fuse or unplug the IDM or injector connectors at the valve covers to prevent starting. Install a pipe plug in the IPR air test fitting and crank the engine. (This step effectively deadheads the high pressure oil pump - this is an approved procedure per Ford factory service info.) If the ICP pressure is now above 500 PSI, the problem is a bad IPR valve. If the pressure is under 500 PSI, then the problem lies with the high pressure oil pump.
- Every 7.3L Tech needs this tool! -
7.3L Powerstroke engine may experience hard start on no start issues. In some cases the no start issue may occur only with the engine hot. One of the more common issues plaguing 7.3L owners are hard hot-start issues. These issues are almost invariably caused by leakage in the engine's high pressure oil system which operates the fuel injectors. Possible leakage locations include the high pressure oil pump itself, IPR Valve, STC fitting, branch tubes, standpipes, dummy plugs, oil rail ball tube o-rings, injector inlet seals, etc. If the leak or combination of leak sources is bad enough to prevent the system from building the 520 PSI required, the truck will not start under any condition - hot or cold. Locating the exact source of the leak(s) is the challenge.
This tool takes the place of the IPR valve meaning that the system can be completely sealed so that even the smallest leaks can be detected.
- NO Scan tool or IPR driver tool is required - potentially lower tool investment
- Leaks of ANY size can be detected - because the IPR valve is removed from the system the fact that it never closes 100% and thus creates a distracting air noise during testing becomes a non-issue. In fact, it is possible to pressurize a system with shop air, trap the air, and leave it pressurized overnight. We have seen systems that will hold the pressure until morning.
- No vehicle required - engine builders can quickly verify that an engine has no high pressure oil leaks before installing the engine into the vehicle where repairs are much more difficult
- Allows systems with the latest updated standpipes to be tested.
- Every 7.3L Tech needs this tool! -
THIS LISTING IS FOR ONE (1) FITTING - Multiple fittings shown in pictures for clarity
We process your order the day you purchase to make your life easier. Buy your parts knowing it is backed by our J J Hassle Free Guarantee. Use our shipping tracker and locate exactly where your package is on its journey to your doorstep.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
Dirt Bike Parts & Gear
Shop thousands of parts from our Parts Unlimited and Drag Specialties warehouses. We have warehouses all over the country!